Tolstoy Studies Journal

Donna Orwin dorwin at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 17 01:30:36 UTC 1998

Dear Colleagues,

The 1998 issue of _Tolstoy Studies Journal_ (number X) will be ready for
purchase in mid December.  I urge you to subscribe to the Tolstoy
Society in order to have your copy mailed immediately after it comes
from the printer.  Please ask your library to subscribe as well.
Remember that the journal and its activities are funded almost entirely
through subscriptions and CANNOT CONTINUE WITHOUT YOUR SUPPORT.

Prices are $20US for individuals and $35US for institutions.  To order
your copy, email our subscriptions editor Professor Edwina Cruise of Mt.
Holyoke College at ecruise at mtholyoke.edu.  You may also consult our
website at http://www.utoronto.ca/tolstoy.

Here is the Table of Contents for the upcoming issue.

Articles

"Raphael Lvwenfeld: Leo Tolstoy's First Biographer"
Remarks Presented at Iasnaia Poliana, September 30, 1998
                        Peter G. Crane

"The Function of Pain in Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Il'ich"
                        David Danaher

"Anna Karenina's Peter Pan Syndrome"
                        Vladimir Golstein

"On the Style of A Story for the People"
                        Gary R. Jahn

"Language and Death in Tolstoy's Childhood and Boyhood:
Rousseau and the Holy Fool"
                        Liza Knapp

"Leskov, Tolstoy, and the Three Questions"
                        Irmhild Christina Sperrle

Archival Research

"Leo Tolstoy and James Mavor"
                        Galina Alexeeva

Tolstoy Scholarship in Russia and Abroad

        "Candidate and Doctoral Dissertations Written in the former Soviet
Union (FSU) and Russia on Leo Tolstoy, 1941-1997"
                        Halimur Khan

"Recent Publications and Annotated Bibliography for 1996-98"
                        Mark Conliffe

Report from Iasnaia Poliana, September 29-October 3, 1998.
                        William Nickell

Request from the Editorship of the New Academic Edition of Tolstoy's
writings

Reviews

George R. Clay. Tolstoy's Phoenix: From Method to Meaning in War and
Peace.  Reviewed by David Sloane.

        A Calendar of Wisdom: Daily Thoughts To Nourish the Soul Written and
Selected from the World's Sacred Texts by Leo Tolstoy.  Translated by
Peter Sekirin.  Reviewed by Michael Heim.

        Natasha Sankovitch. Creating and Recovering Experience: Repetition in
Tolstoy.  Reviewed by Gina Kovalsky.

        Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and Bernard Rose's "Anna Karenina":
        And Never the Twain Shall Meet?  Reviewed by Ellen Chances.

Once again, I urge you all to subscribe.

Sincerely,

Donna Orwin, Editor