Russian communicative vocab

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at dial.pipex.com
Wed Nov 25 11:56:14 UTC 1998

The expression RECHEVOI ETIKET is also used and there is a textbook
bearing the title Russkii Rechevoi Etiket which has gone through several
editions. It lists essential phrases in social situations.

The Russians used to talk a lot about STRANOVEDENIE (German:
Landeskunde) and the Pushkin Institute and its predecessors produced
a series of factual publications about Russia stating the obvious things
which are often taken for granted in Russian publications intended for
a Russian audience. Genevra Gerhart's The Russian's World does a good
job in supplying cultural background information of this kind.

Andrew Jameson
ex Lancaster Uni, UK