ISO of poker/playing card vocab

C. Fields cef at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 6 16:12:47 UTC 1998

I played quite a bit of cards with my Russian acquaintances and these are
some of the words we used (disclaimer: some of these words I have
subsequently NOT found in any dictionary and preference for certain words
over others could be regional and depend upon your kompanija.  I lived in
Vladivostok with students):

Korol', dama, valet, tuz---king, queen, jack, ace
piki, kresti, chervy, buby--spades, clubs, hearts, diamonds
pikovyj, krestovyj, chervovyj, bubovyj--adj. form
desyatka, devyatka, vosmyorka, semyorka, shestyorka, pyatyorka,
chetvyorka, trojka, dvojka--the numbered cards

kozyr'--trump (xodit' kozyrem--to lead a trump)
xodit'--take a turn
zaxodit'--to lead
vzyatka--trick
razdavat'--deal
tasovat'--shuffle
sdvigat'--cut (done not by placing the cards on the table, but by holding
them in your hand and letting the person doing the cutting 'move' a
portion of the deck about a half inch with their index finger.  Person
holding the deck then takes the upper portion and places it below.)
mast'--suit  (toj zhe masti--of the same suit)

I hope I have got most of them right.  It's been a while.

Need any of the rules to Russian card games such as Durak, Perevodnoj
Durak, Tysyacha, Most (my friends' name for Rummy), Govno (pardon the
expression, but that's the titillating name my friends gave the game)?

Emily Fields