wedding rings

William Vernola WverZhger at aol.com
Sat Oct 24 15:14:57 UTC 1998

My wife (who is a native Muskovite) says that it could be a adoption of an old
definition or use of a word.  We are all familiar with the word "krasniy",
historically meaning beutiful.  Hence Red Square, which to most Americans
meant something to do with communism and the color red.  My wife believes that
the origin of wearing the wedding ring on the right hand is related to use of
the word "pravilno", which as we all know means correct or correctly.  And
"praviy" is the adjective for right as in "right hand".  Hence the wearing of
the wedding ring on the right or "correct" hand.