wedding rings

Alina Israeli aisrael at american.edu
Sat Oct 24 18:05:53 UTC 1998

Irena Ustinova wrote:

>I am not sure that it has any connection with the Dutch. What I know that
>it
>is connected with Russian Orthodox belief ( in opposition to Protestants
>and
>Catholics). And fiancees usually  wear the special ( not weddding) ring
>with
>a diamond while widows wear the ring on the left hand.

Wait a minute, since when diamond engagement rings have become common in
Russia? Besides, there is no term for it, as far as I know. In addition,
the word "obruchenie" which used to mean 'engagement', at some point
started to mean 'the wedding ceremony' as well. So "obruchal'noe kol'co" is
the one that is put on during "obruchenie", but which one? I don't mean
which one now, but which one was it two hundred years ago?

Alina Israeli