GWU AATSEEL keyboard fixed

Richard Robin rrobin at gwu.edu
Fri Oct 30 16:06:21 UTC 1998

Dear Seelangovtsy:

My apologies to the many of you whose computers have crashed as a result
of trying to install the AATSEEL student Russian phonetic
("studench.kbd") keyboard from our department's site
(http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/gw-cyrillic/cyrilize.htm). I am happy to
report that the problem is now solved.

For those of you who were forced to reboot through <gasp!> DOS to rid
yourself of the offending file, here's what had been happening. Until a
short while ago, GWU had no easily available FTP site. FTP is the
protocol used for moving files (especially non-text files) over the
internet. For downloading non-text files from the web to a local
computer, GW had users "right-click and saves as." This method
introduced a byte-sized error into each file. The error was enough to
crash a computer.

We have now found space on GW's new FTP server. The link to studench.kbd
is now updated. For those of you looking to download a Windows Cyrillic
keyboard in which ASDFG comes out as ASDFG and not the gosstandard
FYVAP, go to http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/gw-cyrillic/cyrilize.htm and
follow the directions concerning replacing the keyboard.

Again, my apologies for previous troubles.

Sincerely,
Rich Robin