advice about exchange program in Moscow

David Kaiser kaiserdwjr at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 9 15:00:44 UTC 1998

I would advise against Moscow. Although it has more amenities and
services, it's hard to actually study Russian there. Many locals speak
English and there are lots of distractions, such as bars (my students
spent lots of time and money at the Hungry Duck), other Americans,
expensive shopping, etc.

I studied Russian in Perm for six months prior to starting my MA and it
helped me tremendously. Perm is probably too remote for a large study
abroad group, but a second-tier city with a moderate number of
foreigners and English-speakers such as Ekaterinburg or Nizhny Novgorod
would be good candidates. Good luck.

DKaiser
MA, Universty of Arizona
PhD Candidate, UChicago