advice about exchange program in Moscow

William Vernola WverZhger at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 16:02:32 UTC 1998

Dear Ms. Kalb:  Moscow is definitely not the cheapest, even though for most
Americans it's the first choice (sort of like NYC is the only palce foreigners
want to see in America).  I taught a couple of years ago in a high school in
Kharkov, Ukraine.  My wife and I were there for a whole year.  You might want
to think of that, or some other Russian speaking, former Soviet republic.  We
rented a 2 bedroom apartment on the edge of the city for $100/mo.  I still
have contacts at the school where I worked.  They still have contacts with the
university.  The school has e-mail.  If you would like I could put you in
touch with them.  A lot of people don't speak English in Kharkov, other than
the English teachers.  And you can either find ways to hang out with English
speakers, or avoid them. In Moscow and St. Petersburg it becomes more
difficult, and eventually easier to hang out with English speakers.

Please feel free to contact me directly about this.

Sincerely,

William Vernola