Microsoft Excel Macro for viewing 1 wrd at a time

UDUT, KENNETH KENNETH.UDUT at spcorp.com
Tue Aug 3 14:46:00 UTC 1999

I put together this quickie little macro for use with a list of
words.

I downloaded a Russian/English dictionary from somewhere online, and put it
into
Microsoft Excel, changing the font to display Cyrillic correctly, etc.

This macro displays one item at a time, pauses for a few seconds, then moves

onto the next word.  I keep it running in the upper right hand side of
my screen at work, so that I can glance up and at least get some exposure to
new words while I am working - even if I am not ready to sit down and
concentrate fully on remembering them just yet.

If it's useful, then I'm happy :)  If useless, then I'm sorry for the
bandwidth.
 Any questions about what the heck this all is, e-mail:
kenneth.udut at spcorp.com.
 I put it together solely for my own usage, but if you know a little about
visual basic in Excel, it shouldn't be a problem to use.

-Kenneth
kenneth.udut at spcorp.com

Sub shortdisplay()

'THE FOLLOWING MACRO CAN BE USED FOR ANYTHING THAT YOU WANT
'TO LOOK AT, PAUSE FOR A FEW SECONDS, THEN MOVE ON TO
'THE NEXT, AUTOMATICALLY.
'
'I AM USING IT WITH A FREEWARE RUSSIAN DICTIONARY THAT I DOWNLOADED.
'RESIZE THE EXCEL WINDOW SO THAT IT ONLY SHOWS THE RUSSIAN WORD AND
'THE ENGLISH WORD (LOCATED IN COLUMNS A AND B.  I PUT IT IN THE
'UPPER-RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE SCREEN.  THEN RUN THE MACRO.  IT WILL
'ASK YOU WHICH ROW # YOU WOULD LIKE TO START AT.  ASSUMING THAT YOUR
'DICTIONARY HAS 30000 ENTRIES, THIS CAN BE STARTING AT ROW 5000 OR
'ROW 1 OR WHEREVER.  TO STOP THE MACRO RUNNING, SIMPLY HIT ESCAPE.
'HOPE SOMEONE FINDS THIS USEFUL.      -KENNETH.UDUT at SPCORP.COM 08-01-99

Dim PauseTime, Start, Finish, TotalTime, curr_row

MyNumber = InputBox("What row # would you like to start from?", "Select
Starting
Row...")

curr_row = MyNumber

Do Until curr_row = 30000

'displays words for 8 secs

PauseTime = 8   ' Set duration in seconds
    Start = Timer   ' Set start time.
    Do While Timer < Start + PauseTime
        'DoEvents    ' Yield to other processes.

        Cells(curr_row, 1).Activate

    Loop

'UNCOMMENT IF YOU WANT THE TEXT YOU ARE TRYING TO MEMORIZE
'TO DISAPPEAR FOR A FEW SECONDS

'pauses on blank cells for 4 seconds
'
'PauseTime = 4   ' Set duration.
'    Start = Timer   ' Set start time.
'    Do While Timer < Start + PauseTime
'        'DoEvents    ' Yield to other processes.
'
'        Cells(curr_row, 3).Activate
'
'    Loop