Golosa audio on the web

Richard Robin rrobin at gwu.edu
Thu Aug 19 19:57:51 UTC 1999

Dorogie Seelangovtsy,

Many of you who use Golosa have written me with questions about the audio
program, specifically to ask about mismatches between text and tape or missing
cassettes. I hope that those problems are behind us, because all of the Golosa
audio program is on the web available for all. Here are the details:

1.  Where to look. The URL is <http://www.gwu.edu/~slavic/golosa>. Click on the
audio link for either Book 1 or Book .

2.  Technical possibilities. The files come in two flavors: RealPlayer G2 and
downloadable zipped files (for RealPlayer G2). You and your students can listen
to the RealPlayer files directly on line. Or you can download the zipped audio
files onto your hard disk. Unzip them and play them locally. Or hook up a
cassette recorder to a sound acrd and make your own cassette tapes. Or burn
them onto CDs, record them onto zip disks -- whatever.

3.  What's new in the recordings? About 10% of the material has been re-edited
or re-recorded to take care of various glitches. You'll hear some new voices
doing some redone numbers exercises and occasional remakes of short dialogs and
drills. Book 1, Unit 9 is completely fixed.

4.  Copyright information.

a. If you are using the Golosa textbooks, you may copy the audio files in any
format FOR USE IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE GOLOSA TEXTBOOK.

b. If you represent an educational institution that has adopted Golosa for
classroom use, you have permission to link to the recordings. You are allowed
to mirror the Golosa audio site for use on campus. (If you do this, please make
your users aware of these copyright restrictions.) You are also permitted to
download the recordings and make copies -- either digital or analog -- for use
by all students taking courses using Golosa. For example, if you are a language
lab director serving a teacher using Golosa in the classroom, you can download
the zipped audio files and distribute them on a network. Or you can make
cassette recordings for campus wide distribution. There are no number limits.
But your users must be studying Russian with the Golosa textbook.

c. Restrictions (without which Prentice Hall would drown me in Upper Saddle
River). (1) You may not use, repackage, or distribute these recordings without
the use of the Golosa textbook. (2) You may not resell the recordings as a
package. (Some institutions charge administrative fees for use of computer,
media, or other on-line facilities. That does NOT come under the notion of
resale.) (3) If you want to mirror the Golosa audio site in either G2 or other
audio formats for distribution BEYOND the confines of your educational
institution, you CAN (in fact you are encouraged to do so) - as along as your
get my signoff first.

5. Complaints and comments. If you find discrepancies in the recordings, or if
a link doesn't work, please notify me, and I will try to fix it. One caveat:
the files play only on RealPlayer G2 (www.real.com). Older versions of
RealAudio or RealPlayer won't work.

I hope that if you use Golosa, you will find this to be a much improved way of
getting the audio program.

Regards to all,
Richard Robin

PS -- Within a month or so I hope to be able to make the Instructor's Manuals
(expanded and corrected) available for on-line distribution (by password to
Golosa instructors). More on this possibility later.
--
Richard Robin - http://gwis2.circ.gwu.edu/~rrobin
German and Slavic Dept.