Mice in the cookie jar

Emily Tall mllemily at acsu.buffalo.edu
Mon Dec 6 14:05:32 UTC 1999

Although I teach at a public university, your problems are very familiar! In
fact, they are identical, except that the students don't have to be in class.
Until Olga Kagan writes her book/web site on a course for emigres, all I can say
is: 1) be prepared in advance with special guidelines/tests for those students,
i.e. "take off" more for spelling; make it clear that homework is part of their
grade, and specify how much (I don't know if this works in schools); you might
take a look at school Russian texts from Russia. That might be a lot of work,
 but
I have used exercises from 5-6th grade books for some of my students. Maybe you
could have the students do exercises from Khavronina's "Russian in Exercises."
 By
the way, I have never seen worse spellers than some of my "heritage speakers"
 who
haven't gone to school in Russia. Typical errors: misplacing soft signs;
unstressed vowels. It's a really tough problem. Prof. Kagan of UCLA has an
 unpub.
article on the subject. You might write to her and request it. E. Tall