Mice in the cookie jar

Neil Bermel N.Bermel at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Dec 8 16:26:38 UTC 1999

Brian Lehmann raised some difficult issues.  I've had what are called
"heritage speakers" (quasi-native speakers or non-literate native
speakers) in various sorts of university foreign language classes
(Russian and Czech), and it's true that some of them can cause
problems.  On the other hand, I've had some pretty good experiences
with them as as well.

In beginners' classes, one thing that seemed to work well was to make
the heritage speaker a sort of roving pronunciation consultant during
pair work, since they usually have a better ear for the sounds of the
language.  I have also used the more capable native speakers to
model constructions or intonation during whole-class exercises, and
have given native speakers slightly different tasks in pair and group
work (asking a particularly poor speller to write down what other
students are saying, for instance).  It's not as ideal as having a
separate curriculum, but even these small adjustments can make the
class time more productive for them, and seem to be appreciated.

I know some heritage speakers do take Russian in the hope of an
easy A, but non-native speakers are guilty of this as well (i.e. signing
up for courses they've basically done before), and I do believe (in
some instances mistakenly) that the desire for a good grade is
accompanied by a genuine interest, deep down.  In some cases it's
hard to reconcile this with their behavior, but I suspect Russian plays a
greater emotional role in their lives than it does for the non-native
students, and thus things having to do with Russian can provoke a
disproportionate reaction from them.  We can't know offhand, for
instance, if in criticizing them we're echoing things their parents say, or
whether they find the material in the textbooks irrelevant or contrary
to what they know of Russia.  Such things are probably beyond the
teacher's control.  I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Neil