Fwd: CFP: "New Modernisms II" (2/15&3/30, MSA 2000 10/12-10/15)

Adrian Wanner ajw3 at psu.edu
Mon Dec 20 22:18:58 UTC 1999

Dear SEELANGERS,
I am forwarding this call for panels and seminars for the "New Modernisms
II" Conference in Philadelphia. The first conference, hosted three months
ago by my colleagues at the Penn State English Department, was a great
success, except that there were practically no Slavists in attendance.
Since the aim of this new organisation is to explore modernism as an
international phenomemon, I am sure that we Slavists would have something
to contribute!

>Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:14:39 +0000
>To: (Recipient list suppressed)
>From: Marianne Cotugno <mxc52 at psu.edu>
>Subject: CFP:  "New Modernisms II" (2/15&3/30, MSA 2000 10/12-10/15)
>
>Please excuse any cross-posting.
>

>The Modernist Studies Association
>ìNew Modernisms IIî
>12-15 October 2000
>The University of Pennsylvania
>
>CALL FOR PANEL AND SEMINAR PROPOSALS
>
>ìA return to modernism at the end of the millennium is not a farewell but
>a new beginning.î
>

>Susan Stanford Friedman
>
>In its 1999 inaugural conference, described by The Chronicle of Higher
>Education as ìgiving new life for modernism,î the Modernist Studies
>Association created a forum wherein scholars, poets, musicians and artists
>could contribute to this ongoing revitalization. Modernist studies is
>reemerging as a dynamic and complex field, hospitable to
>interdisciplinary, international and multicultural approaches and
>energized by recent work in race, class, gender and sexuality. ìNew
>Modernisms IIî convenes at the University of Pennsylvania, and will
>incorporate the urban diversity of Philadelphia. Our plenary sessions will
>emphasize the arts, and performance, but our call for panel and seminar
>proposals remains open.
>
>Proposal guidelines are available on the MSA website:
><http://www.psu.edu/dept/english/MSA/msa2.htm>http://www.psu.edu/dept/english/M
>SA/msa2.htm
>
>The MSA homepage can be visisted at:
><http://www.psu.edu/dept/english/MSA/msa.htm>http://www.psu.edu/dept/english/MS
>A/msa.htm
>
>Queries about seminar and panel proposals may be directed to:
>Cassandra Laity: claity at drew.edu  or Michael Coyle: mcoyle at colgate.edu
>Completed proposals should be submitted to:
>

>Professor Bob Perelman
> Department of English
> University of Pennsylvania
> Philadelphia, PA 19104
>

>perelman at dept.english.upenn.edu

Adrian J. Wanner
Associate Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature
Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures
The Pennsylvania State University
315 Burrowes Building
University Park, PA 16802

Tel. (814)  863-8964 (o)  234-1289 (h)