truth or fiction?

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at dial.pipex.com
Wed Dec 22 11:41:54 UTC 1999

Come to that, what is the English word for non-fiction? We don't have a "word"
 any
more than the Russians do! We define by using a negative.
The "problem" lies in the fact that English standard usage ascribes the meaning
belletristika to the word literature. Russian uses "literatura" for all forms of
 printed
and written communication, and our students take a while to get used to this.
Andrew Jameson
Chair, Russian Committee, ALL
Languages and Professional Development
1 Brook Street, Lancaster LA1 1SL UK