Hard e in loan words in Russian

Misha Schutt MishaGMCLA at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 06:43:03 UTC 1999

The issue of hard e in Odessa was recently discussed.

What is the status of hard e in loan words such as tennis, tezis, rezjume?
I learned it as the approved pronunciation, but that was a generation ago.

While I'm at it, what's the usual way of saying a casual hello these days
--still "privet"?  I've encountered "saljut" in a book, but that wasn't
current
when I was in school (BA, Middlebury, 1972--the last time I was in Russia).
I don't want to sound old-fashioned or provincial when I next visit.

Misha Schutt
Los Angeles, Calif.