Accented Russian fonts on the web

Jeanette Owen jowen at brynmawr.edu
Thu Jul 29 18:49:28 UTC 1999

Dear Seelangers:
At present, none of the standard encoding schemes for Cyrillic support
accent marks.  Thus far Unicode hasn't provided accented Cyrillic
characters, either.
On a cheerier note, it is possible to outsmart web browsers by streaming
fonts to the browser off of the server (also known as "burning" fonts, or
dynamic fonts).  So far this plan still requires some jiggling around of
true-type Mac-based accented Cyrillic fonts to get it to work for both PC
and Mac browsers.
I have to confess I didn't have time to continue work in this vein, so I
saved my accented texts as graphics and went from there.  I am hoping to
find a solution in the future...
Try checking  http://www.hexmac.com  for further information on dynamic fonts.
Best of luck,
Jeanette

 Hopefully the company supplying the streaming font program will come up
with a solution.  (It works fine for Tibetan fonts). I finally had to
settle for saving texts with accent marks as graphics.

>I am attempting to put some Russian text on the web, and would like to
>include accent marks for students.  Does anybody know of a Cyrillic font
>that includes accented vowels?  Many thanks for any help you can provide.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Jonathan White
>

>-----------------------
>Jonathan White
>Trinity College #701444
>300 Summit St.
>Hartford, CT  06106
>edmokeski at hotmail.com
>-----------------------

>Date:    Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:30:52 -0400
>From:    Danko Sipka <sipkadan at erols.com>
>Subject: Re: Accented Russian Fonts
>
>> I am attempting to put some Russian text on the web, and would like to
>> include accent marks for students.  Does anybody know of a Cyrillic font
>> that includes accented vowels?  Many thanks for any help you can provide.
>
>You can always create your own or modify an existing font using say
>Fontographer (which is available on both Mac and PC platform). However, if
>you want your students to see these signs, they will have to have that font
>installed on their computers. An alternative solution would be to use the
>Summer Institute of Linguistic font and its dead accent keys (you can pick up
>the font at: www.sil.org). Again, you will have to distribute this font to
>your students.
>
>Best,
>

>Danko Sipka
>Date:    Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:11:50 +0200
>From:    Kjetil Ra Hauge <K.R.Hauge at easteur-orient.uio.no>
>Subject: Re: Accented Russian Fonts
>
>>> I am attempting to put some Russian text on the web, and would like to
>>> include accent marks for students.  Does anybody know of a Cyrillic font
>>> that includes accented vowels?  Many thanks for any help you can provide.
>>
>>You can always create your own or modify an existing font using say
>>Fontographer (which is available on both Mac and PC platform). However, if
>>you want your students to see these signs, they will have to have that font
>>installed on their computers.
>
>Internet Explorer apparently suppports downloadable fonts, but the downside
>is that the page will only be viewable in MSIE, and you will also have to
>resolve issues of copyright. Unicode won't cut it either, it does not
>include accented vowels for Cyrillic. I suggest either bolding accented
>vowels or putting stress accents in front of them.
>
>-- Kjetil Re Hauge, U. of Oslo. Phone +47/22856710, fax +47/22854140
>-- (this msg sent from home, ph. +47/67148424, fax +1/5084372444 [eFax,
U.S.])