getting cash in Moscow

Shipley, Linda LShipley at flagship.ru
Thu Jun 3 06:15:54 UTC 1999

Dear Ian -

Since the crisis, my boyfriend and I have been using Alfa Bank ATMs to get
dollars. The locations I use are on Kutuzovsky Prospect and Old Arbat. They
take either credit cards or debit cards. They do not take a percentage out
when I use my debit card, but they do for a credit card - 2%. If you are
interested, I can check out one of the ATMs and tell you the specific types
of cards they accept.  They have worked consistently for the past year,
although there are cases when certain machines are out of dollars or out of
money all together.  I've usually been able to find at least one machine
that works.   I would recommend this as a viable option, but - as you
probably already know - you should have some back-up options, such as AmEx
or Western Union.

Best regards,

Linda Shipley