Trashing Caryl Emerson's recent book on Bakhtin?

Dmitry Khanin dmitry.khanin at gte.net
Mon Jun 7 21:26:09 UTC 1999

    I get questions from friends concerning my review of Caryl Emerson's book The First One Hundred Years of Mikhail Bakhtin that came out in Philosophy and Literature (April 1999, vol.23, # 1), pp. 220 - 223. Some people (who have not read it yet) asked if I trashed Emerson's book. Well, I guess I did. Why? Just read the review. So, instead of explaining my arguments in zillions of private letters, I decided to simply send the review itself as an attachment to this message. Enjoy!

                                                                                Dmitry Khanin