Not only Bakhtin

Alina Israeli aisrael at american.edu
Wed Jun 9 20:08:11 UTC 1999

If I may slightly rephrase the discussion: how many people make a living
stydying the writings of those who could not support themselves by their
writings. Cvetaeva is the first who comes to mind. (Yes, I know that
Shakespeare supports even more people.)

>Finally, what has he said that's so appaling? ... That
>there are no career-making enterprise on-going in the Western academies?
>That there are no market mechanisms forming research? Are we already at the
>stage when we attempt to prove that water is dry?

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University                phone:  (202) 885-2387
4400 Mass. Ave., NW                     fax:    (202) 885-1076
Washington, DC 20016

aisrael at american.edu