RUSSIA and the US

John Schillinger jschill at american.edu
Wed Jun 9 20:25:33 UTC 1999

In the fall I'll be teaching a Gen Ed class titled Russia and the US,
which is primarily inhabited by School if International Service-type
students who need both a political and historical background in
conjunction with cultural insights.  I used Gaddis's 1990 book--"Russia,
The Soviet Union, and the US" as the core text when I taught the course
for the first time last fall, but am looking for new ideas to provide a
"backbone" for the course that I can supplement with the history, music,
art, lit, film, etc. they need to better understand Russia and the
former Soviet Union.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has taught such a course with
texts that worked well, or who knows of texts that might be good
choices.  Thanks!

--
John Schillinger
Professor of Russian