Trashing - a Dismal Art or a Gay Science?

Dmitry Khanin dmitry.khanin at gte.net
Tue Jun 15 11:03:11 UTC 1999

    I know, I know. Everyone thought it was over and then there is yet
another round. Well, I do feel that I have to reply to my opponents. After
all, isn't that what we are supposed to do in a truly dialogical world?
    My critics said a lot of bad things about trashing. Helena Goscilo (by
the way, I'm very sorry for misspelling her last name in a previous letter
but you have to admit it's a ... difficult one) compared me to a garbage
man. Thank you very much, Helena. I was touched. Now Nina Perlina reminds
everyone with respect to my review about "the pernicious practice of
"trashing" books and their creators in the 1930's."  Dr. De Rossa quipped at
the end of his message dedicated to a computer virus: --"If you can't say
something nice, don't say nuthin' at all." That's almost two hundred years
of good advice, n'est-ce pas?)
    Well, really I have to say a couple good words about the virtues of a
good old trashing. For starters, it is seriously underestimated in the
American Slavic studies which could explain why this realm of academic
research lags far behind all other intellectual pursuits in the US.
Nietzsche, of course, tried to create a gay science (Anja and her friends
should not be too disturbed, the word did not have sexual connotations back
then and in any case "there is nothing wrong with it"). Part of the endeavor
was beating up his academic opponents to the pulp or, simply put, trashing.
What do you think Nietzsche would say about a badly written and
self-important book like Emerson's? "Fresh Air!  Fresh Air!" Compared to
Nietzsche's innovative usage of trashing, the kind of trashing I practice
hardly deserves its name. It's time, though, to rehabilitate trashing and
make it part of the academic language. For instance, how should we call
those who pay less than $50 to AATSEEL? Academic trash?  What if you want to
imply that you already know what your opponent is implying? How about "no
trash" ? Things can also be "trash" or "untrash" (no explanations
necessary). The expansions of the "trashing" vocabulary will come naturally.
    Now a few words about Perlina's somewhat convoluted argument. With all
due respect, Ms. Perlina, it is hard to make sense of it. You can't possibly
be talking about everything at the same time. A little trashing is overdue!
Perlina writes: "What Khanin renders as invalid or "apostatic" in Emerson's
book is her unwillingness to move
her research in the direction of the postmodernist simulacrum." I'd be the
first to admit, it sounds very "trash." But what are you actually
saying?  Then you add: "non-relativist view of plurality makes him divert
from his own pluralism." And then the coda: "when Khanin charges Emersaon's
systematization with  opportunism, he bespeaks his unwillingness to read her
study within its genuine context. In a way, Khanin charges not an individual
interpretation, but the entire theoretical creed with lack of
principiality." Translated from the academic mumbo-jumbo, does it simply
mean that I did not understand Emerson's work and attacked a
well-established trend that Emerson represented? The book, in Perlina's
opinion, was not about Bakhtin (it had a misleading title) but rather about
"his creative
answerable "I" which takes part both in the Russian and the American
contexts, yet does not dissolve in any of them." Well, I don't know about
this "creative answerable I."  If that were Emerson's true hero, she was
certainly unaware of it. Do you know what I think? Nina Perlina had to write
a review of Emerson's book. Let's not go into reasons why she (or, for that
matter, Helena Goscilo) thought that she had to do that. We are all familiar
with academic politics.  However, how could Perlina possibly find anything
to praise in that hybrid of naive boasting, pedantic classification, and
high-handed criticism of Russia and the Russians (I never liked the word
"Rusophobia" but really it is quite appropriate for a characterization of
that cantankerous pamphlet).  So Ms. Perlina reinvented Emerson's book and
wrote a review of that made-up masterpiece that exists nowhere but in her
benevolent imagination. It's good enough that Perlina at least recognizes
that Emerson's book has some drawbacks: "I would add that the fundamental
reasons for Emerson's selections and omissions of individual Bakhtin
scholars and their theoretical views need more clarification." No trash!
But that's as far as she goes. If "trashing" were considered, in the spirit
of Nietzsche, as a gay science, not as a   dismal art, Slavists would not be
viewed as being decidedly the "untrash"!