Unicode problems

S. Brouwer S.Brouwer at let.rug.nl
Wed Mar 3 08:00:27 UTC 1999

Dear Seelangers,

When I import a plain text (.txt) file with Cyrillic into Word 97
(8.0) and apply a unicode font like Times New Roman or Courier
New to that text, no Cyrillic appears. Only non-unicode ER fonts show
Cyrillic.

I understand that this is because in Word 97, there is no way to tell
the text that its higher ASCII-values belong to the Cyrillic subset,
and not to Latin-1.

As far as I know, the only thing one can do is save the file as Word
6.0/95, open it in Word 95 (7.0), apply the Times New Roman Cyrillic
font (in Word 95, the subsets of Unicode fonts appear as different
fonts), save the change, and reopen the file under Word 97. But that
amounts to not using Word 97 at all and work under Word 95, which is
actually what I do. Still - k chemu besplodno sporit' s vekom? - in a
while we will somehow all be forced to work with Word 97, so I'd like
to solve the problem now.

Who has any soobrazheniya on this? (besides the obvious
you-should-have-bought-yourself-a-Mac-in-the-first-place).

Thanks in advance,
Sander Brouwer

Dr.S.Brouwer  Assistant Professor
Slavic Dept.  University of Groningen
Postbus 716   9700 AS Groningen   The Netherlands
tel: +31 50 3636062            home: +31 50 3119769
fax: +31 50 3635821      www.oprit.rug.nl/brouwer02

Izuchenie russkoy istorii mozhet portit' samye luchshie umy
                                   T.Granovskii