Unicode problems

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at yt.cache.waseda.ac.jp
Wed Mar 3 11:04:33 UTC 1999

Dear S. Brouwer,
  This may sound too obvious to you, but you need to obtain
a special converter for your MS Word to understand Cyrillic
founts. If your colleague happens to own a Russian version
of the MS Word (97 or later), ask her to read your file
and save it in Word97 format. The resultant file should
contain the Russian langugage environment information.
  I am writing this way because I haven't had time to find
out which converter exactly does the job of converting
Russian text to Word97 format. It must be one of the files
contained inside the Russian Word97 or Office97(or later).
  Anyway, it is irrelevant to think of the matter just as
one of switching founts.

with best wishes,

Tsuji

------
I once copied all the file converters of Russian MS Word to
the Japanese MS Word and have had bizarre experiences. Well
advised if you don't waste time trying to use Latin-1
MS Word for the Russian language. (But once in Word97 format,
any Word97 will read the file correctly as the internal code is
in unicode).