Preposition doubling

Michael Yadroff myadroff at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 9 07:02:10 UTC 1999

Dear SEELANGers,

In Colloquial Russian (as well as in Old/Middle Russian and Russian Dialects),
there is a phenomenon of preposition doubling (tripling, etc.) in definite
NPs with a head N moved to a front of the NP and modifier(s) left behind,
like in the following Russian examples:

(i)     Voshel on _v_ dom _v_ tot _v_ zakoldovannyj (Fairy tale narration)
        entered he into house into that into haunted
        'He entered that haunted house'

(ii)    Rasskazhi-ka popodrobnee _o_ brate _o_ svoem. (Coll. Rus.)
        tell in more detail about brother about self
        'Tell me about your brother in more detail'

I'm wondering (I'm really wondering) if there is a similar phenomenon in other
Slavic languages. I would really appreciate any data about this phenomenon
from as many Slavic languages as possible.

BTW, first I wanted to start with "In the ES languages ..." I've read the
Belorussian dialects has this feature. What about Colloquial Belorussian?
And how about Colloquial Ukrainian?

Best,
Misha

Michael Yadroff
Linguistics Department and Dept. of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Memorial Hall 322           Ballantine Hall 502
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405
myadroff at indiana.edu