ISO HS teachers opinions re: tech & students

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Tue Mar 9 19:16:10 UTC 1999

Hi all!  This is not FL related, but it is tech related.  I'm being asked
my opinion on what type of tech knowledge high school students are going
into college with these days.  I'm trying to give this question a lot of
thought.  My first reaction was that high school students are coming in
with *superior* tech know-how.  But more and more I'm questioning if this
really is "most" or just "some" (and if it's some, how many?).

In our schools, the kids who *typically* have computers at home and know
their way somewhat around the internet are kids who:

A)  have fairly affluent families
B)  are in the gifted program
C)  both of the above

So I'm starting to wonder if technology is just further separating the
"have's" and "have not's" of our society.

I would greatly appreciate collecting your thoughts on this subject.
Please email me directly at dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu

I imagine it will take a while to read through the interesting responses.
But when I finally sum it all up for the people asking me the question,
I'll be happy to share it with the group if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance!

Devin

Devin P Browne
dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu