Preposition doubling

Oscar E Swan swan+ at pitt.edu
Wed Mar 10 16:58:55 UTC 1999

In seeming refutation of the association between preposition doubling and
adjective/noun placement:

Polish employs adjective/noun reversal much more often and
systematically than Russian, yet preposition doubling is much less often
encountered. In Polish, the adjective after the noun tends to make the
adjective into a 'type' adjective: wymagajacy dyrektor 'a demanding
director' vs. dyrektor wymagajacy 'a demanding sort of director'.

Oscar E. Swan   Dept. of Slavic Languages & Literatures
1417 Cathedral of Learning   Univ. of Pittsburgh  15260
412-624-5707      swan+ at pitt.edu