Preposition doubling

Michael Yadroff myadroff at indiana.edu
Thu Mar 11 07:31:31 UTC 1999

Dear SEELANGers,

I greatly appreciate your responses.

Many thanks to Katja King and Emily Klenin. Shame on me,
I didn't even know about the article  "On preposition
repetition:  a study in the history of syntactic government in Old
Russian".  Tomorrow (I mean today) I'm going to read it in our
library. I have gathered a lot of data about "prep rep" in Old and
Middle Russian, so I hope the article contains data from the other
Slavic languages.

Many thanks to Oscar Swan and Tom Priestly (about Polish and Slovenian)
who were first with their responses off list.

Hi, Ursula:  yes, I'm aware of it, though I wouldn't say it's a widespread
phenomena. I've got interested in Slavic prep doubling exactly because it
resembles article/determiner doubling in various languages:
Ancient and Modern Greek (Adams, 1972), Arabic (Fassi Fehri, 1976), Hebrew
(Shlonsky, 1997; Siloni, 1997), Rumanian (Cornilescu, 1993), Albanian
(Morgan,
1972). If you can point out to some other references, I'd be happy.

I'm thankful to Robert Beard: certainly, I'll look through your book (our
library has it).

I appreciate responses from George Grabowicz and Uladzimir Katkouski
with clues about Ukrainian and Belorusian.

However, I need more data about prep doubling (or its absense) from various
Slavic languages (or references to the papers about it): Czeck, Slovak,
Serbian,
Croatian, Bosnian, Slovenian, Bulgarian, Macedonian, etc. (my guess B. and M.
don't have this phenomenon). Please, native linguists!

Thanks a lot,

Misha

Michael Yadroff
Linguistics Department and Dept. of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Memorial Hall 322           Ballantine Hall 502
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405
myadroff at indiana.edu