Help with lines from poem by Tuwim

Keven Christianson kchristians at tntech.edu
Mon May 3 01:43:23 UTC 1999

Dear Seelangers:

I'm translating BLAGANIE by Julian Tuwim, and I'm having trouble with a few words and lines which my 4-volume Stanislawski cannot help me with.  I appreciate any help that you Polish scholars can provide.

Od ognia, g³odu i moru  what's MORU?  a tabby cat?

I don't know German, as used in this line: Od Maennergesangvereinów z poznañskiej archidiecezji

I know the meaning of zachêty, but why is it capitalized? Od Zachêty, krewnych i chorów z operetek

Can’t find „wiercikuprów”  Od wiercikuprów, titin, dziwek szczebietliwych

Tuwim was Jewish, so it’s hard to see these two lines as anti-Semitic, unless the speaker in BLAGANIE is a Polish gentile and the poem is a dramatic monologue spoken by someone other than the poet himself.  How should we interpret Tuwim’s use of the words izraelickich and ¿ydówskich in these two lines?

Od izraelickich inteligentów i socjalów nobliwych Od ¿ydówskich szlagonów i korporantów,

Does „Roty” refer to the Russian Red Army chorus? Od starych skautów, od s³uchania "Roty"

Who or what is a „Zwrotnicy”?  Od "Zwrotnicy" i od sztuki góralskiej

Why Pomeranian poets in particular?  Did Tuwim dislike certain poets from that region in particular for some reason?  Is it because that area is so Germanic?  Od poetów pomorskich

What’s „sakpalto”?   Slang? Od mówi¹cych "sakpalto" m³odzienców

Can't find „prewety” in dictionary. (privy? outhouse?) Od szczura w prewecie,

Is Grydza a housemaid?  Od Grydza zaperzonego,

The dictionary refers to periostitis.  Is Tuwim talking about periodontitis or gum disease here?

Od zapalenia okostnej,

Are these nonsense words?  Od slów "kwef", "smet", "kruz", i "chram",

Do these stage names have any significance? Od aktorów z pseudonimami: Wirski, Gromicz, Malski,

Thank you for your help. Kevin

By the way, does anyone know the date of this poem’s composition / publication?