intuitive labels for verb conjugations

John Dunn J.Dunn at slavonic.arts.gla.ac.uk
Mon May 3 15:06:21 UTC 1999

A very belated comment on an earlier discussion (with apologies to those
who have forgotten what it was all about in the first place).

 I was about to
>also address her remark about conjugations being the construction of
>Western men when it occurred to me that maybe this was an April Fool's Day
>posting...Emily Tall, SUNY/Buffalo

April Fool or not, conjugations are exactly the construction of Western
men, in this case of Meletij Smotryc'kyj, who is Western-ish if you are in
Moscow and who presumably took the idea from (Western) grammars of
classical languages.  Interestingly, he defines the two conjugations in
terms of -esh and -ish, so I am not sure if it is a tribute to him or a
reflection on us that nearly 400 years later we are going round the same
circle.

John Dunn.

John Dunn
Department of Slavonic Languages