A couple of questions about etymology

Alexey I. Fuchs c0654038 at techst02.technion.ac.il
Wed Nov 3 13:58:11 UTC 1999

        Hello,

        I am trying to trace a couple of slavic words to their roots.
        The words for example are:

                1.Doroga (road, Rus.) - I am trying to connect it to
Hebrew "derekh," taking onto account, apart from phonological similarity,
the unusual gender of the Hebrew word - it's feminine. The reason for
being feminine in Hebrew is irrelevant, but the fact itself seems to
emphasize the connection (light evidence, though).
                2. Shlyakh (way, Ukr.) - there is a temptation to relate
it to Russian "shlyat'sya" (I cannot recall a Ukrainian verb of the same
origin), but I tend to think it appeared later. Again, in the language of
the Bible, "lishloah" (li- is an infinitive indication, the root is
sh.l.h [Hebrew roots are three letters, due to inner flection]) means "to
send."

        I do not have too much access to etymological dictionaries of
Slavic languages, apart from Chernykh, I do not possess any, please direct
me or directly help me.

        There are more words to relate to Hebrew/Arabic/other Afro-Asiatic
languages, but for now these would suffice. :)

        More generally, I am interested in Slavic connections to
Afro-Asiatic tongues - why, when, etc.

                                                Thanks in advance,
                                                        Alexey Fuchs