Demonological need (the modern twist)

Uladzimir Katkouski VLK960 at cj.aubg.bg
Thu Nov 11 11:58:31 UTC 1999

Here is the guy you wish you'd meet! -- Adam Hlobus (Uladzimier
Adamczyk).

Adam Hlobus (Adam the Globe) is the contemporary Belarusian
writer who revived many Belarusian demons and ghosts in his
modern fairy tales.

He published two books:  Damavikameron-I and Damavikameron-
II.  Each book has 66 tales.  Right now he is working on the third
volume.  The name stems from the combination of the word
Damavik ("House ghost" in Belarusian) and Dekameron (the
famous French writer, sorry I have no idea how to spell it in French),
because most tales have a sexual twist to it.  In fact, the chief
character Damavik is usually considered by a common folk to be a
ferocious, lusty love-maker.

There are at least a dozen of other "ghostly" characters apart from
the Damavik himself: mermaids, kaduks, bird-man, forest-man,
field-man, etc, etc.

The first book, Damavikameron-I, was translated into Polish with
the title "Demonokameron" (which is a good invention of the
translator -- Jan Maksymiuk) and sold out very well (30,000 copies
were sold in a few months).

Some of the stories were translated into English and published in
American magazines.

Sincerely,
U.K.

http://www.aubg.bg/cj/~vlk960/litvania/ -- the true face of Belarus