Georgian films

Alexey I. Fuchs c0654038 at techst02.technion.ac.il
Sun Nov 14 16:44:51 UTC 1999

> And then there was this amazing phenomenon of Sergej Paradzhanov, who I
> believe was an Armenian who grew up in Tbilisi, but started his movie
> career at the Dovzhenko studio in Kiev. (Cvet granata, Teni zabytyx
> predkov).

        I have seen only "Tini zabutyh predkiv" ("The Shadows of Forgotten
Ancestors") by Paradzhanov (as far as I can recall). It is an excellent
movie, but the only thing that connects it to Georgia is that Paradzhanov
grew up there.
        Anyway, this would be a nice link to SEELangs, and the film is
truely outstanding.

        The indispensable IMDb shows that Paradzhanov, at the beginning of
his career at Dovzhenko studio worked mainly on Ukrainian topics. This is
what titles say: "Dumka," "Natalya Ushvij," "Ukrainian Rhapsody" &c.
        However, the mentioned "Cvet granata" is about an Armenian poet,
and his last movie is called "Ashik Kerib," about a minstrel and I recall
somebody praising this movie. By the way, the screenwriter is a Georgian
(Badridze), and Sofiko Chiaureli plays in the movie.

                                                        Alexey