Georgian films

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Mon Nov 15 12:05:30 UTC 1999

An amazing film in Georgian by Paradzhanov, cordirected by Dodo
Abashidze, is _Legenda Suramskoj kreposti_ (I don't know the Georgian
title).  It's in the dreamlike style of _Cvet granata_, but
Paradzhanov was back in official graces when it was made and the
production values and cinematography are first-rate. Sofiko Chiaureli
is in the cast.   I saw it around 1987 and was stunned by it.  I'd
like to see his last two films.

Jim Rader