Results of Nachalo survey

Lisa Little lclittle at socrates.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 29 01:53:53 UTC 1999

I found the survey very interesting, but clearly the number of hours of
class time per week is crucial for any sort of comparison.

Here at Berkeley we meet 5 hours a week and have a test after every chapter
(listening, reading, and grammar sections on computer in the lab and
speaking and writing sections as separate assignments).  We spend 8 days
per chapter and allow the students to take the computerized portion of the
test that day, the next day, or the first day of the next chapter.  They
can take this portion up to 3 times (each version slightly different), the
idea being that language is cumulative and that they need to build on a
solid foundation.  Mark Kaiser from the Berkeley Language Center and I
began the computer-testing pilot program in September.

I would also like to ask those of you who test after every two chapters
whether you feel that the students keep up between tests or just cram the
night before and/or whether the amount of material for each test is not
more than the students can handle.  What do your students think about it?
I have thought of doing it that way in order to gain a little breathing
room, but have always worried about the consequences.

Lisa Little