Translation Software

VANCHU, ANTHONY J. (JSC-AH) anthony.j.vanchu1 at jsc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 7 22:28:31 UTC 1999

I wholeheartedly agree with Alexander Ushakov's assessment of the efficacy
of translation software.  "Novosti kosmonavtiki," a website that we often
use with our students at the NASA Johnson Space Center, enables users to
translate the articles posted there (all in Russian) into English (as well
as French and German).  The results can be equally laughable, and let me
assure you that the problems are not due solely to aerospace-specific
lexical items.

The URL for this site is:  http://www.infoart.ru/tech/index.htm

On a related, but slightly different note, anyone interested in finding out
more about space-specific terminology might have a look at the following
URL, which is the NASA English-Russian/Russian-English space lexicon:

http://www.tti-corp.com/NASAsearch.html

Tony Vanchu

Dr. Anthony Vanchu
Russian Language Program Director