Extremely literal translation - audio, superimposed?

Daf daf at meirionnydd.force9.co.uk
Sat Oct 16 14:03:00 UTC 1999

Ken, it's an inventive idea but I really think it just create confusion.
One hopes to get those things by developing a feel for the grammar of the
language. Having to listen for extraneous noises would IMHO actually
distract from listening properly to the native sounds. The nearest thing to
the simultaneous spoken translation is probably subtitles on film and
telly. I think those do help by allowing one to follow something that is
otherwise beyond one. I've certainly learnt a lot of Welsh by recording the
omnibus edition of a daily Welsh soap which has subtitles on screen on that
edition. This is essential as one gets to grips more with the target
language if one can repeat at least parts of it. Teletext subtitles [which
we have a lot of in Wales] are of less use as there is only one bite at the
cherry.
Daf  [web page-http://www.meirionnydd.force9.co.uk]