the language

Max pyz at panix.com
Wed Oct 20 16:39:00 UTC 1999

> I would like to cast my vote in favor of Patricia Chaput's sensible comment
> and against Richard Robin's "unrelenting hard line."  Not all of us have
> the time and energy to get involved in jihads over technologically correct
> cyrillic encodings.  As long as there is no clear winner in this struggle,
> it makes sense to remain tolerant and write one's messages in such a way
> that they are accessible to all recipients, whether they are
> technologically challenged or not (and that means, for the time being, to
> use transliteration).  After all, even cyrillic zealots are perfectly able
> to read the Latin alphabet!

And that's the problem.  The latin alphabet is common across most
encodings. Therefore, the bias is against languages which use some other
alphabet.  Also, by going to some lowest common standard, little if
any incentive is created for the useage of other languages, especially
 Cyrillic-based
Slavic ones.

Further, if you are indeed an educator and/or student of these languages I would
think that it would be incumbent upon you to learn the various informational
modalities which go beyond pencil-and-paper and typewriter - several encodings
across as many OS's across as manyh applications (email, browser,
 word-processor,
database, text-layout), or at least be familiar with them.

[...]

> Adrian J. Wanner
> Associate Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature
> Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures
> The Pennsylvania State University
> 315 Burrowes Building
> University Park, PA 16802
>
> Tel. (814)  863-8964 (o)  234-1289 (h)
> =46ax  (814)  863-8882
> http://www.la.psu.edu/slavic/wanner.htm

Max Pyziur                                     BRAMA - Gateway Ukraine
pyz at brama.com                                  http://www.brama.com/