the language

Stephen Bobick bobick at accessone.com
Wed Oct 20 18:04:51 UTC 1999

  Adrian Wanner:
  >I would like to cast my vote in favor of Patricia Chaput's sensible comment
  >and against Richard Robin's "unrelenting hard line."  Not all of us have
  >the time and energy to get involved in jihads over technologically correct
  >cyrillic encodings.  As long as there is no clear winner in this struggle,
  >it makes sense to remain tolerant and write one's messages in such a way
  >that they are accessible to all recipients, whether they are
  >technologically challenged or not (and that means, for the time being, to
  >use transliteration).  After all, even cyrillic zealots are perfectly able
  >to read the Latin alphabet!

I just love the way these threads mutate.

Reminder:  the intolerance (or *non*sensible comment) here was first exspressed
by Tsuji, who requested that all cyrillic email be automatically deleted
by the moderator of this group!

Richard Robin's so-called hard line is mild in comparison.  After all, his
suggestion of encouraging cyrillization (even by shaming you non-technical
folks into it) is a far cry from requesting the moderator to automatically
delete all postings in ISO-8859-1 (that's the Western European font encoding
for you non-techies).  Ne pravda li?

-- Stepan Bobick