the language

Daf daf at meirionnydd.force9.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 18:53:34 UTC 1999

 If you want to use
> Cyrillic as the "appropriate" font for a Slavic list, or if you want to
> exert pressure on others to catch up technologically, then that is your
> choice.  But let's not pretend that these are simple problems to solve.
> Perhaps simple for some, but not for others.  Let's also remember that
the
> purpose of this list is to share information.  The font we use, or
whether
> we use this list at all--these are all choices that affect how widely
> our information is shared.

Being one of those who expressed a wish that Cyrillic script were readable
here, I must explain that this was not from any purist ideas. Simply that I
find it almost impossible to transliterate. When something that sounds as
if it is interesting appears in transliterated form, I have to admit to
pasting it into Word and then putting it letter by letter back to Russian
in order to understand it. I simply can't help seeing English in Latin
script and Russian in Cyrillic.
But that is just my misfortune. For the rest I fully agree with your
sentiments. If I do post anything in Cyrillic, it would be in the hope that
amongst those who could read it someone might come to my rescue - not from
wishing to keep anyone out. Surely there is room for both. It takes only a
moment to delete unwanted messages and most things are in English anyway.
Incidentally, It has just occurred to me to wonder whether all Russians
would be able to transliterate if they wanted to contribute and did not
speak English.
Daf  [web page-http://www.meirionnydd.force9.co.uk]