Two questions

Emily Tall mllemily at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Oct 21 17:59:38 UTC 1999

First, I would consult Olga Kagan, who has written a terrific article on
emigre Russian and is going to write a book as well. She distinguishes
several levels of emigre Russian that it is useful to be aware of. In my
university, where we have not had a separate class, I note that emigres
have successfully used selected exercises from Russian 5th and 6th grade
textbooks, in particular those that focus on spelling of unstressed
vowels, in suffixes, and also whether certain words are written together
or separately, such as "ne" or "choby" or "tozhe," etc. They also don't
know how to punctuate in Russian. (This applies to those who have had
several years of schooling in Russia.) Emily Tall