Vendors of subtitled Russian films

John Mackay john.mackay at yale.edu
Sat Oct 30 18:17:15 UTC 1999

Some of the films of Aleksandr Sokurov (with English subtitles) are
available through Celluloid Dreams (www.celluloid-dreams.com); they have
other subtitled films as well. You might also try
intercinema at glasnet.ru. ----- RBC in Brooklyn (which someone else already
mentioned) is terrific, but few if any of their cassettes have English
subtitles, alas -- but their tapes are extraordinarily inexpensive (10
dollars a piece, usually!) and (as far as I can tell) of good quality. Of
course, there's
Kino Video as well, which is releasing tapes of mostly '20s-era films
("Kino-Eye" and "Que Viva Mexico" recently came out) on an ongoing basis.
Amazon.com's got quite a bit, too.

Best, J.