"Reply"

Carol Z. Logan clogan at itol.com
Wed Sep 1 22:42:24 UTC 1999

NOTE TO ALL THOSE NOT YET COMPLETELY FLUENT "PO-E-MAILSKI":

It is very simple to reply off-list to the correct person, the sender, only:

Just look at the third line from the bottom, buried in all of the
miscellaneous information at the top of your screen when you get a message
from SEELANG (or any other listserv with a humongous membership) that says
FROM. Then choose EDIT and highlight that person's return email address.
Hit COPY.  Then create a NEW message (DO NOT hit the reply
button/key/icon). Then point your mouse at the TO: line in your new message
and click. Then choose EDIT again and then PASTE that FROM address onto
your TO line.  In this manner you will reply to the original sender of
whatever message interests you, privately, off-list, not to everyone.

Some of the replies that I have seen sent all over the world to the entire
SEELANG membership remind me of the admonition we public servants were
given when I worked at an important foreign service agency in our
illustrious capital, to wit:  NEVER send any e-mail, fax or memo unless you
would be comfortable seeing it reprinted on the front page of the
Washington Post!!