Gender for Euro?

Alexey I. Fuchs c0654038 at techst02.technion.ac.il
Tue Sep 7 07:26:24 UTC 1999

> A while back I think there was a discussion here about the gender/usage in
> Russian for the Euro currency.  I seem to recall that it has pretty well
> been decided (in practice, if not by grammatical fiat) that it's being
> treated as an indeclinable masculine noun (like _taksi_).  Can anyone
> confirm that?

        I am pretty sure that "taksi" is neutrum, at least it is so in
colloquial speech. As for "Euro", it is fairly reasonable that it would be
masculine, because if I am not mistaken, such currency as "ECU", "Su" or
"peso" was treated in literature as masculine. [See, for instance,
"Buratino", there was "sol'do", and tell me if I am wrong... ]

                                                        Regards,
                                                                A.Fuchs