The importance of correct stress in Russian (pisAl).

Alex as at ticom.kharkov.ua
Wed Sep 8 21:25:33 UTC 1999

Mykola Szoma wrote:

> > > - dESX Q ^ITAW (BA^IW NA internet-i) ]O UKRA?NSXKA MOWA
> > > MA: 40 D3QLEKT3W. nE PAMQTA@ NA QKOMU SAJT3,ALE PAMQTA@
> > > ]O ^ITAW. pITANNQ: cE : PRAWDA?

> Vash BROWSER ne zrozumiv shcho ya napysav. Poiasniuiu yak ya pysav:
> Ya vzhyvav shryft "ER BUKINIST 1251" i klaviaturu "UKR" shcho
> znakhodytsia

Hello, Mykola.

I've got your message at once (as well as my reply to Richard Robin).
Perhaps this is because I am a native speaker. This type of "transliteration"
is quite readable and I like it more than "Russian-Americution" style actually.
Because it "reflects" every cyrillic character. But I see Robin's cyrillic
pretty well! Why is then our distorted? Some list members suggested (in
private messages to me) that it's got something to do with the upper bit.

I've compared different letters' headers and should say that no - CUNYVM server
transfers 8 bit encoding. The problem should be somewhere either in X-mailer
or in our local (provider's) servers. Please look:

   Mine:      X-Mailer:   Mozilla 4.05 [en] (Win95; I)

Russian learners. I've checked it already with a help of different users around
the World and it seemed to pass Cyrillic pretty well (of course it may be needed
sometimes personal adjustments). You (or your students) may try it if you wish.

You may get there from the site:       http://SashaAndNatasha.listbot.com/

or send an e-mail to:     <SashaAndNatasha-subscribe at listbot.com>
and then reply to the verification.

After that you are able to send a message (you can write it in English of course too).
But I would like you to check the cyrillic - I'm quite curious.