Propozytsiya Transliteratsijnoyi Tablytsi

Robert De Lossa rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 17 13:58:50 UTC 1999

Dorohi SEELANGHIVTSI [SEELANGIVTSI? SEELANHIVTSI?] ta AAUSliany:

The exact address for the official transliteration table is:
http://WWW.RADA.KIEV.UA/translit.htm. Unfortunately, it contains several
internal mistakes which lead me to believe that at least the web version
was composed by someone whose primary tendencies are to filter through
Russian. No great surprise in that (Russian is a language of Ukraine, too),
but surprising that the Rada would allow something that sloppy to go online.

There hasn't been much discussion general here about the transliteration
principles. If people want to comment *OFF LIST* to me, I'll summarize and
post the results back to the lists. I personally think that several real
mistakes were made if the goal of transliteration is for non-Ukrainian
speakers to be able to get back to the original Ukrainian. Usage of the
standards, though, has been very spotty from what I've been seeing (e.g.,
the table gives Uzhhorod for the city in Transcarpathia, but the city
itself has an "official" transliteration of Uzhorod; there still is
widespread use of Latin "g" to transliterate Ukrainian Cyrillic /h/ and
I've also seen use of "gh" for /h/ in instances where the table would give
plain "h" in transliteration). I'll also try to add a discussion of
Nimchuk's new proposals for orthography if I can get them.

There have long existed ALA-LC standards for transliteration which are
quite good. Anyone interested in the standards used for publishing here at
HURI can contact me and I'll forward our style manual. We'll have an html
version of it up on our website soon.

The decoder given by "R_L" is a gem (http://www.design.ru/free/decoder/).
The other stuff from Kharkiv was troll spam.

Best, Robert De Lossa

Robert De Lossa
Director of Publications
Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
1583 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138
617-496-8768; fax. 617-495-8097
reply to: rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu
http://www.sabre.org/huri/