Any Russian sign language dictionaries and/or tutors/classes in U S?

James McDermott jmcd at ziplink.net
Thu Sep 23 01:47:56 UTC 1999

        New York has a large population of Deaf imigris from the former Soviet
Union. I would recommend contacting Program for Deaf Adults at La Guardia
Community College, Long Island City (Queens), NY Tel # is 718-472-5318
(voice). They have a largest post-secondary program for d/Deaf and
hard-of-hearing individuals in NYC (and the third largest in the country, I
believe). There are large numbers of Russian students there. The
Communication Skills Program at the New York Society for the Deaf
(212-777-3900 voice/tty) might also be of assistance. It is the only ESL
program in NYC designed for d/Deaf immigrants who have no skills in either
English or American Sign Language. Typically NYSD is the first stop. Once
the one-year program has been completed, students move on to La Guardia.

        While neither of these places offers formal Russian Sign Language classes
(to my knowledge), they are where you'd most likely find referrals to
private tutors. Let me know how you make out.

James McDermott
jmcd at operamail.com