Translation problem

Geoffrey Chew uhwm006 at sun.rhbnc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 14:15:43 UTC 1999

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Andrew Hicks wrote:

> Mila Saskova-Pierce wrote:
> >
> > Ti'n is =seka'ni' (cutting).
> >
>         Except that that meaning doesn't seem to make much sense in context.
> Given that the Lassko dialect is so close to Slovak, you might want to
> try translating it as 'shadow':  "What are those shadows in the
> gamekeeper's oak grove?"
>
> This is just a guess, though.  Have you tried an etymological dictionary?

I have used the etymological dictionary available to me (Etymologicky
slovnik jazyka ceskeho), which offers no more than the others.  In actual
fact I have wondered whether both phrases are not best approached through
Slovak (co za tine^, what shadows; po s^as^u, like a joker/clown)?

 Geoffrey Chew
 Music Department, Royal Holloway College (University of London)
 Internet:       chew at sun.rhbnc.ac.uk