SEEJ Transliteration Preference

Udut, Kenneth kenneth.udut at spcorp.com
Wed Sep 29 14:31:48 UTC 1999

Oh, this isn't for any scholarly usage :)

Just for my own practice in reading Cyrillic characters.

By doing this, I'm eliminating the need to translate
the words themselves, since they are already familiary
to me, as they are in English.  Yet, it forces me to
realize that Cyrillic is not as painful as it at
first appears.

It is odd, though, that the 'ooih' sound
(?) gives me no trouble in listening, but
I always seem to struggle when I come
across it in reading, and try to pronounce it.

It was presented, in one of the first books
I looked at for learning Russian, as a potential
'problem' for English speakers to get right,
and unfortunately, this has stuck with me.  It's
getting easier, though, as I listen to more
Russian on tapes, and try to speak-along with
the speaker, while reading the text.  It's
helping me to see words as blocks, instead of
a group of individual letters.

           Kenneth Udut
Kenneth.Udut at SPCORP.COM