etymology of Belarus

Adassovsky Georges gadassov at WANADOO.FR
Thu Dec 7 18:13:55 UTC 2000

>We are not talking about Pomory but about the inhabitants of the Kiev/Kyev
>Rus'. In order for a geographic place to have a specific name, there must
>be a reason for that. I do not see any reasonable explanation of how would
>the people we are discussing right now know of the area that they had not
>dealt with (unless there is an evidence to the contrary).

Do you believe nobody travelled via the numerous and large rivers ? What is
a "lod'ja" ?
The commercial routes for Kievljani were:
1) "iz Varjag v Greki". From Baltic sea to black sea via Novgorod and Kiev.
2) To Persia. (Dniepr-Black sea-Don-Volga-Caspian sea)
3) To the north : Volga-Kama-Severnaja Dvina-White sea.

These routes, before the Mongol invasions, were used for commerce from
China to Byzance (via Black sea) and  to West-Europe (via the north seas).
It is no doubtful old Russy knew the White sea as well as the Black sea.

See :
-F Veselago : Ochepk pusskoj morskoj istorii, St Pet, 1875
-I.P. Magidovich : Ocherki po istorii geograficheskikx otkrytij, uchpedgiz,
1949
-I.N. Zubov : Otechestvennye moreplavateli-issledovateli morej i okeanov,
geografgiz 1954.

Georges.