AAASS Panel on Fantastic

Cynthia Simmons simmonsc at BC.EDU
Thu Dec 14 13:41:37 UTC 2000

Hi Eric!  It's been a while....I was cleaning up my mail and came across
your message again.  Did you ever fill/find a panel?  If so, is it full?
Need a discussant?  I only ask because I was too distracted to organize
something for myself and would like to get to AAASS next year.  I was
unable to go this year (sent my paper) because Liam was in the hospital
with pancreatitis caused by gall stones (unusual in a 19-yr. old--he's a
freshman at Boston College--tuition remission).  Anyway, I have more or
less resurfaced (except that Tim got two herniated disks at the same time
and still is not back to work!), and I'm wondering if there are any
possibilities.  I am actually working on (revisionist) images of Soviet
childhood, especially among middle-aged writers (to whom I can relate!),
but there is much that is fantastic in all that (e.g., Petrushevskaia's
Nastojashchie skazki). Let me know.

How is life, still, in the beautiful but strange place you live?  How many
children now?  Are you still in touch with grad-school cronies?  I see
Jana's name around.  Did she get tenure at Texas?  Hope this finds you
happy, Cynthia

--On 2000-Nov-21:Tue 15.21 -0700 Eric Laursen <eric.laursen at M.CC.UTAH.EDU>
wrote:

> Is anyone interested in forming a panel on the fantastic (or would anyone
> have a place they want filled on such panel)?  Please reply offlist.
>
>                 Eric
>                 eric.laursen at m.cc.utah.edu

>                 http://members.home.net/lists/seelangs/

Cynthia Simmons
Associate Professor
Slavic & Eastern Languages
Boston College / Lyons Hall 210
Chestnut Hill MA 02167-3804 (USA)
   tel: +1-617 / 552.3914     fax: +1-617 / 552.2286
   eMail: simmonsc at bc.edu